Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly [is] great, but the laborers [are] few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth laborers into his harvest - Luke 10:2.

BARBADOS

Home About Us World Links Commentaries Donate Catch A Ministry Christian Growth Calendar Daily Devotions Volunteer Photo Gallery Travel Journals Video Audio Gallery CTWM Store

 

 

 

By Georgia Thomas


Georgia Thomas is an evangelist. She spent the last year and a half taking the gospel specifically to her family who came from a legacy of Christian heritage. She is an ordained minister and is involved in prison ministry, volunteer at various ministries at home and abroad. She is a teacher of the gospel and an excellent instructor for new believers. She is a gifted speaker and her heart is in evangelism. She is available for speaking engagements in the United States and abroad.

 

Contact Georgia at:

georgia.thomas2259@yahoo.com

 


Current issue effecting the island:

 

  • Crime is on the increase

  • The government currently is new - pray for righteous dealings

  • Farmland is now becoming commercial property and much of the island produce is being imported

  • There is now crime occurring at an alarming rate in the school system

  • The believers do not speak up at the injustices on the island - too much passivity

  • The church has fallen back significantly - American influence has saturated the services

  • The youth no longer attend church as in previous years

  • Casinos are now spread out throughout the island from shore to shore

  • There is an increase in occult and new age activities stemming from visitors to the island

 

 

Religious statistics:

 

Protestant 67% (Anglican 40%, Pentecostal 8%, Methodist 7%, other 12%), Roman Catholic 4%, none 17%, other 12%

 

Profile of Barbados:

Barbados is an exquisite island, located in the Atlantic Ocean 59� 37' West and 13� 04' North of the Equator. It is the most easterly in the Caribbean island chain, lying approximately 160.9 kilometers to the west of it's nearest neighbor, St. Vincent, and approximately 463 kilometers north-east of the South American mainland.

It is mostly a flat coral island with many beaches, a few rolling hills, deep ridges and gullies. The island is 34 kilometers long and 23 kilometers wide with an area of approximately 430 square kilometers. The highest point is located at Mt. Hillaby, St. Andrew, one of the island's eleven (11) parishes.

Archaeological evidence indicates that Arawak Indians inhabited Barbados prior to the settlement of the English at Holetown in 1625. Until 1966, when Barbados became an independent nation, it was a British colony. The Parliament in Barbados, which dates from 1639, is the third oldest in the world.

His Excellency Sir Clifford Husbands is the Governor General. The Right Honorable David J. H. Thompson is the Prime Minister and the Honorable Mia Mottley is the Leader of the opposition. Barbados has a long tradition of political and social stability, which enables a stable and democratic system of Government making it one of the most stable locations in the world for business.

Bridgetown, the capital, is situated in the south-west in the parish of St. Michael. It is the centre of sophisticated international telecommunication services, and superior infrastructure. This city plays host to the Securities Exchange of Barbados (SEB), offshore companies and a modern deep-water harbor. Other major towns are Speightstown and Holetown in the North and Oistins in the South of the island.

The climate is sunny all year round with an average daytime high of 75o � 85o F. The coolest months are usually from January to April, while the hottest are July to September. The atmosphere is cooled by prevailing gentle northeast tradewinds. Its climatic conditions and geographical make-up help to boost Barbados as a dream vacation.

Tourism plays a vital role in the Barbadian economy, since it is a major contributor to foreign exchange earnings. There are many places of interest especially the Harrison's Cave, one of the finest cave systems in the world. The principal crop like other Caribbean islands is sugar cane.

At the end of the last census in 2000, Barbados' resident population was 270,700 persons, 92% of whom are of African descent and the other 8% are white, or mixed.

The language spoken is English, and education is compulsory from ages 5�16. Barbados boasts of a 97% literacy rate. A highly religious community, 70% of the population is Anglican, Catholic, Methodist and Moravian. The other 30% are affiliated with other denominations.

(Information taken from: http://labour.gov.bb/blmis2/webdoc/trends/profile_of_barbados.asp)

 

• Home • About Us • World Links • Commentaries • Donate • Catch A Ministry • Christian Growth • Calendar • Daily Devotions • Volunteer • Photo Gallery • Travel Journals • Video Audio Gallery • CTWM Store •

This page was last updated 10/19/15